By Deolu Akinyemi
The story of Cain and Abel is one of the most popular stories in the Bible. The Summary of the story is that there were two brothers, both offered God sacrifices, God accepted one, God rejected the other. The brother whose sacrifice was rejected – Cain, killed the one whose sacrifice was accepted – Abel. God punished Cain by making him a wanderer and a fugitive, and Abel’s blood cries vengeance till eternity.
What can we observe from the Biblical standpoint of this story?
We can take our references from Genesis 4:1-24, Hebrews 11:4, 1 John 3:12, Jude 1:11, Matthew 23:35, Hebrews 12:24.
1. Cain represents those who give God what they believe is right, not by obedience to His instructions. Abel represents those who give God what He instructs. Cain’s sacrifice was not accepted because it was not done by faith, faith is action you take in response to God’s instructions. Did God ask you for sacrifice? Did He instruct you to pay tithe? Firstfruits? Are you giving him the best from your field.
2. Cain killed Abel. Cain is the elder brother of two brothers who persecutes and kills the righteous one. In the eyes of the types of Cain, Abel’s devotion to God and acceptance by God provokes jealousy that leads to persecution and murder. The false prophets, pharisees, scribes and religion leaders have always been responsible for killing God’s people throughout the ages. Are you trying to shout down the voices contrary to popular beliefs?
3. Abel dies, and Cain lives on. The fact that you are doing right and acceptable to God does not guarantee that your life on earth will be longer than the lives of those who don’t serve God’s purpose. Christians ought to desire eternal life not long life. Long life is too short. Are you excited at the longevity of your life? Remember the first person who said “you shall not surely die” is the devil.
4. Cain hated Abel because his works where evil, while his brothers works were righteous. What work was evil? The work of offering to God what he had not instructed. Jude 1:11 makes it clear that the actions of Cain have become a way for false teachers and prophets, they make a habit of doing what God has not commanded. They can’t understand those who do what God instructs, and they end up persecuting and killing them.
5. Abel entered into the Hall of Faith by his obedience. He also became a heir of eternal life such that though he is dead his blood still speaks. Cain however marries and gives birth to children. He even gives birth to a son called Enoch and built a city in his name. Abel’s genealogy is the generation of those who believe in God and walk in obedience – faith.
Serving God faithfully and knowing God intimately does not guarantee long life, it guarantees eternal life.
Long life is too short.