By Deolu Akinyemi
1. The Kingdom of God (Matthew uses Heaven because the Jewish culture respects God and avoids calling His name) is like 10 virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the Bridegroom. The Bridegroom is like the Son of Man. The virgins are a type of kingdom subjects who desire to be there with the bridegroom. A type of people who represent a type of Church or Christ’s body.
2. Wisdom and Folly are put side by side here, and Proverbs 21:20 resonates. There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.
3. Even the foolish virgins were wise until the bridegroom delayed. Just in time, just over the borderline followership will not be enough. If you skimp around the basics to get by, you will be caught behind. God grant me grace not to do just what is okay, but to go with you all the way. May delay in your coming not reveal my foolishness.
4. The key question here is which of these describes me? Wise or foolish? Am I planning for the future, or are my eyes on now? Am I really ready for delays, or is my gospel based on “I want it now syndrome.”
5. Wise has oil in excess. Foolish has oil, but not for the long haul. Oil here is not anointing oil, it’s oil for light (Exodus 25:6). This is the oil that produces light, if God’s word is a lamp to our feet, then the oil is Christ. They may all have been anointed with oil, but the oil lacking was the oil that causes them to see their way. In God’s word, we look for Jesus, this is how to get clarity and light.
6.Virginity may indicate purity, chastity, the fact that they were not committed to any man, their loyalty was towards God and God alone. Some however had oil for light, and others did not. Jesus is the light that shines in darkness. It meant they were looking forward to Jesus, but Jesus was not in them.
7. There was a midnight cry that ensured that people are not caught unawares, this happens before the Son of man comes and both foolish and wise are roused. But whatever you slept with, is what you’ll wake up with. If Jesus is not your ultimate and source of light, you will have a problem.
8. The wise virgins seem harsh, why were they unwilling to share? Well, Jesus called them wise, so that must have been wise. If you don’t have enough of Jesus in you, you can’t really get more oil from those who have. There are those who sell, and you can buy for yourself. Who sells? Where can people buy the truth? Where is the truth being sold these days? The bible is unclear if they got to buy or not, but they did come back and Jesus declared that he did not know them.
9. Why did Jesus not know them? Was it because it was dark and they could not be seen? Or was it because the reason they ran out of light in the first instance is that they did not know Jesus? If we know him, we will ensure that our lamps never run dry.
10. For Christ not to be formed in you in the day He arrives, is an indication that you have been foolish with your life. God help me to be wise, let me be found with Oil in full measure. Amen.